Snail Mail Us:
Tiftonia church of Christ
159 Browns Ferry Road
Chattanooga, TN 37419
Preacher: Gary McDade
The History of the Tiftonia church of Christ
In the Fall of 1954, behind the LaPlaza Motel on Moss Avenue in Tiftonia, Hugh Davis held a three-week meeting. Shortly thereafter, it was decided that a congregation should be started in Tiftonia. A group of twelve people met in Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence McCullough’s mobile home and a decision was made to purchase property for a church building. For a while, these Christians met in Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Griffey’s home on Hemlock Circle . After a few weeks, they outgrew that dwelling and began to meet in the John A. Patten School building.
The elders of the White Oak congregation did the preaching until March 1955 when John Cupp was hired as the first full-time preacher. John remained at Tiftonia four years during which time the original church building, preacher’s home and classrooms were completed.
David Reeves became the next preacher and he stayed four years. In 1963, the congregation hired Dan Spann. During his stay, the old building became unequal to the crowds and two services were being held each Sunday morning. The State took the property owned by the church to construct what is presently Interstate 24. A seven-acre tract of land joining the old property by Parker Lane was purchased by the church on which the present building was erected.
Throughout the years a number of other powerful Gospel preachers have served the church at Tiftonia well.
In the fall of 2010, brother Gary McDade was hired to preach the Gospel at Tiftonia and the church is blessed to have such a capable preacher proclaiming the Gospel of Christ.